How do I transfer files from my Dell laptop?
“I finally decided to get a new Dell laptop to replace my old one. But I’m concerned about the files on my old laptop. How do I transfer files from my old Dell laptop to my new one?
-Question from Serverfault”
The easiest Dell file transfer software [PC to PC]
With the right way, it can be quite easy to transfer files between computers. A great file transfer software needs to be fast, secure, and easy to operate. Here we highly recommend AnyViewer, which is a free yet professional remote file transfer software for Windows computers, allowing you to transfer files from Dell to Dell. Of course, you can also use it on other types of Windows computers.
Let’s take a look at its primary benefits:
- Wide compatibility. It works with several Windows versions, including the newest Windows 11 and Windows 7.
- High efficiency. It allows unattended remote access, as well as unattended file transfer, which means you can get files you need from a computer that is unattended.
- Fast speed. It transfers files at a really fast speed, even if transferring large files over the internet. For example, it only costs about 20 seconds to transfer a 2 GB zip file from the local to the remote computer if they are on LAN.
- Improved security. The file transfer process is secured by Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) encryption, protecting your data from leakage.
- Multiple features. As a remote desktop tool as well, it also allows you to easily control and manage another computer remotely. Besides, it is also a screen share tool.
Step 1. Download, install, and launch AnyViewer 3.0 or above on both Windows computers. If your version is lower, please upgrade first.
Step 2. On the Controller computer, go to Log in, and then click Sign up. (If you already have signed up on its official website, you can log in directly.)
Step 3. Fill in the signup information.
Step 4. Then you can see you successfully logged in to AnyViewer. Your device will automatically be assigned to the account you’ve logged in to.
Step 5. Choose your target computer, and then click File Transfer.
Step 6. Then a File Transfer dialog box will appear. You’re able to transfer files between devices freely by clicking the arrows after choosing the target files. You can also double-click the target file to achieve transfer.
- To transfer files more freely, it is highly recommended to upgrade your account to a professional or enterprise plan. Here are what a professional or enterprise plan can bring to you:
- Faster file transfer speed. Transfer speed for a free account is 500 KB/s, and for a paid account is up to 10 MB/s.
- Increasing numbers of files are being transferred at once. For a free account, 100 files can be transferred at a time; for a paid account, this number is unlimited.
- Larger size of a single file that can be transferred. The maximum size of a single file that can be transferred for the free account is 100 MB, and for a paid account is 1 TB.
Bonus tip: Dell file transfer software between PC and phone
If you need to transfer files between Dell computers and phones, you can use Dell Mobile Connect, It is a program that allows you to interact with your phone from your Dell computer. Let’s see how to transfer files from Dell laptop to iPhone/Android or from iPhone/Android to Dell laptop using Dell Mobile Connect.
Step 1. Go to Microsoft Store on your Dell laptop to get Dell Mobile Connect, and then launch it.
Step 2. Choose your phone type and click Next.
Step 3. Search the app store on your phone or scan the provided code to download the Dell Mobile Connect app.
Step 4. After download, click install to perform the installation on your phone and then open it.
Step 5. Enter the code in your laptop (Step 3).
Step 6. Then a Bluetooth paring request appears, click OK to connect to your laptop.
Option 1. Transfer files from phone to Dell laptop
Step 1. Click Files on the left pane and then you can choose to transfer pictures or videos based on your need. Hover on the particular file you want to transfer, and then click Get on the thumbnail.
Step 2. Double-click the file to open it on your computer, then click the three dots at the upper-right corner, and then click Save as to save your file on your computer.
Option 2. Transfer files from Dell laptop to phone
Step 1. Select Files on the left pane, click the three dots at the upper-right corner and then select Copy to phone.
Step 2. Select the target file you want to transfer in the browser window and then click Open. Then the file will be successfully transferred from your Dell laptop to your phone.
This post primarily introduces 2 Dell file transfer software, one for transferring files between Dell PCs, and another for transferring files between Dell PC and phones. Whatever your problem is, you can find the solution here.