How do I set up a new remote connection?
Can someone kindly explain to me how to create a new Remote Desktop Connection? I need to use other Windows and Mac computers to access my Windows 11 computer. How can I go about doing that? Thank you in advance.”
- Question from a user
How to set up new Remote Desktop Connection [Windows / Mac]
Need to connect to a remote computer from another computer? You can establish a remote connection using Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection feature. With it, you can access a file, open an application, solve a problem, or simply work remotely as long as the distant computer is turned on and configured for a remote connection.
Remote Desktop is also compatible with Mac operating systems, here we will respectively discuss how to create a new Remote Desktop Connection from Windows and Mac computers.
Preparation work: Enable RDP related settings on remote PC
If you want to connect to Windows via Remote Desktop, first your need to configure these tasks on the remote computer: Enable Remote Desktop, change the Firewall setting, and get the remote IP address and username.
- Windows Home/Standard editions can not use RDP as the server side, please upgrade to Windows Professional or Enterprise.
- VPN or port forwarding is necessary if you need to connect RDP over the Internet.
1. Enable Remote Desktop
Step 1. On the remote PC, follow the path: Settings > System > Remote Desktop >Turn on Enable Remote Desktop.
Step 2. In the pop-up window, click Confirm.
2. Change the Firewall setting
Step 1. Follow the path: Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall.
Step 2. Click Allow an App or Feature Through Windows Defender Firewall.
Step 3. Tick Remote Desktop and tick it under Private or Public based on your demand, then click OK.
3. Get the remote IP address and username
Step 1. Press Win + R, enter “cmd” and press OK.
Step 2. To get the IP address, enter "ipconfig" and note the IPv4 Address.
Step 3. To get the username, enter “query user” and note the username.
When you’ve done all the preparation work, you can go to next part to create a new Remote Desktop Connection.
Case 1. How to create new Remote Desktop Connection on Windows
Here is how to set up Remote Desktop Connection on Windows client.
Step 1. Search Remote Desktop Connection in the start menu and click Open.
Step 2. Enter the IP address and username you noted, then click Connect.
Step 3. Enter your credentials if prompted, and click OK.
Case 2. How to set up new Remote Desktop Connection on Mac
To create a new Remote Desktop Connection on Mac, you need to additionally download the Microsoft Remote Desktop application.
Step 1. Go to Mac App Store and download Microsoft Remote Desktop.
Step 2. Launch the app and click New button, then enter the required information.
Step 3. When you added the connection, you can see the device under My Desktops. To remotely control it, click the device and press Start.
RDP alternative: Best remote access software for Windows
RDP has limited features although it is convenient for Windows to establish a remote connection without extra downloading. There are quite a lot of Remote Desktop alternatives you can use, for example, AnyViewer, professional remote desktop software. Compared with RDP, it has the following benefits:
- Easy-to-use. It is simple to set up and provides various one-click capabilities, while RDP requires an IP address or a username.
- Over-Internet. It supports over-Internet connections, while RDP needs VPN or port forwarding.
- Compatible. It is compatible with Windows (including Windows Home edition), Android, and iOS devices. It allows PC-to-PC, Android-to-PC, and iOS-to-PC connections.
- All-in-one. It enables comprehensive remote tasks, including remote control, file transfer, screen sharing, multiple sessions, multiple monitor control, etc.
- User-friendly. It provides several options in a remote session, you can chat, change image quality, resize the screen resolution, etc.
Download AnyViewer on your devices and let’s start unattended remote access with simple steps.
Step 1. On remote computer, go to Log in, and click Sign up.
Step 2. Fill the information and click Sign up.
Step 3. On your local computer, log in to the same account, and it will display the assigned devices.
Step 4. Go to Device, select the computer you want to remote into, and click One-click control.
Tip: You can also achieve one-click file transfer, view the screen, and lock/reboot/shut down remote PC in this interface.
When you established the connection, there are a lot of built-in operations from the toolbar.
- You can also upgrade to a Professional or Enterprise plan then you can assign more devices, enjoy more concurrent connection channels, connect in privacy mode, enjoy high-quality image, etc.
This post introduces how to create a new Remote Desktop Connection from Windows/Mac computers. Once you enabled RDP and related settings on the remote computer, you can easily set Remote Desktop Connection. However, it has limited features, you can use professional remote desktop software AnyViewer instead.