How can I remotely access another computer using CMD?
When I work at home, it troubles me that I sometimes need to perform tasks or pull up a file using my work computer. My friend suggests I access my work PC to solve this problem. Is there anybody who could please tell me how can I control another computer using CMD?"
- Question from Reddit
How to remotely access another computer using CMD via RDP
Sometimes you may need to access your work computer from home to handle some working issues. But not everyone can connect the PCs successfully. Here in the post, we introduce how to remotely access another computer without permission using CMD via Remote Desktop Connection.
Before operations, you need to know the conditions of remotely access another computer using CMD via RDP:
- Only the Pro or Enterprise versions of Windows (rather than Home) are available to set up the Windows Remote Desktop, though, Windows Home Editions can connect to other PCs as the client computer.
- The host computer needs to be on and not in sleep or hibernation mode before connection.
- You need to perform port forwarding or use a VPN when you access another computer in the different networks.
Part 1. Set up Windows Remote Desktop on the host computer previously
1. Enable Remote Desktop in Settings
Navigate here: Settings > System > Remote Desktop > Turn on the Enable Remote Desktop, and then click the Confirm button.
2. Allow remote connections to this computer in Control Panel
Step 1. Select Control Panel > System and Security > System, and then click Remote Settings on the left pane.
Step 2. On the Remote interface, check "Allow remote connections to this computer" and click OK.
3. Get the IP address and username
Step 1. Press Win + R on the host computer to open the Run dialog box. Enter "cmd" and then hit OK.
Step 2. To get the IP address for Remote Dekstop, enter the command "ipconfig" and note the IPv4 Address.
Step 3. To get the PC name for Remote Desktop, type in “query user”, and you can see your PC name.
Part 2. Connect to another PC via Command Prompt
“How can I control another computer using CMD?” After you enabled Remote Desktop on the host computer, follow the next steps to control another PC via Command Prompt.
Step 1. On the client computer, search for Command Prompt to open it, then type in “mstsc” and press Enter to invoke the Remote Desktop Connection window.
Step 2. Type in the IP address and username of the host computer, and then click Connect.
Besides, you can use additional terms at the end of the command to access the computer directly through Command Prompt. This entry takes you to straight access your host computer without permission.
Type "mstsc /console /v:computername" into Command Prompt, and place “computername” with the specific username of the computer you want to connect to. For example, the username of the PC I want to log in to is Vivian PC.
- It’s not available to have multiple Remote Desktop Connections to one PC. Specifically, Windows OS only supports one remote session simultaneously while Windows Server OS allows 2 concurrent remote sessions.
- It doesn’t have a chat box for timely text communication during the remote session, which is inconvenient for users to do remote support.
AnyViewer: Easiest way to remotely access another computer
Due to the limitations listed above, you may look for other ways to remotely access another computer. In this case, you can use AnyViewer which is highly appreciated for the following reasons:
- Easy-to-use. It has the easiest operations to achieve a remote connection without an IP address or username.
- Compatible. It supports several Windows versions, for example, it’s available on Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7.
- User-friendly. It offers a chat box for text communication between PCs during remote connections, which is convenient for remote technical support.
- Multi-session. It’s allowed to have multiple Remote Desktop Connections to one PC.
After download and installation, follow the next steps to connect to another PC via AnyViewer.
Step 1. On the host computer, go to Log in on the left pane, and click Sign up (You can log in directly if you already have signed up).
Step 2. Fill in the sign up information.
Step 3. When you successfully logged in to AnyViewer, your devices will automatically be assigned to the account you’ve logged in to.
Step 4. Log in to the same AnyViewer account on the two devices, and click Remote control to achieve unattended remote access.
- Tips: You can also upgrade to a Professional or Enterprise plan to enjoy the following rights:
- Assign more devices to achieve unattended remote access.
- Connect to the host computer in privacy mode to protect your data and privacy during remote connections.
- Transfer unlimited files at once at a higher speed up to 10 MB/s.
In this post, you will learn how to remotely access another computer without permission using CMD, but it is not a convenient option to do remote work for its limitations. Therefore, we recommend you to use AnyViewer to remotely control another computer by easy operations.