How do I drag and drop in Chrome Remote Desktop?
“Is there a way to drag and drop files between remotely connected computers with the Google Chrome Remote Desktop plugin?
- Question from Superuser”
When someone says drag and drop in Chrome Remote Desktop, they sometimes mean the gestures they use when remotely accessing a computer from iPhone/iPad using Chrome Remote Desktop. Users can tap and hold an icon dragging with a finger and then drop it in another place.
But in more cases, when someone says drag and dropin Chrome Remote Desktop, they normally mean drag and dropfilesin Chrome Remote Desktopsessions. Can Google Remote Desktop drag and drop files? Unfortunately, the answer is NO. But Chrome Remote Desktop provides you with another way to achieve file transfer between computers.
How to transfer files using Chrome Remote Desktop
In this part, we provide you with the way to perform file transfer with Chrome Remote Desktop when Chrome Remote Desktop drag and drop is not available.
Step 1. On the host computer, open the Chrome Remote Desktop download page. Click Remote Support first and then click the blue download button.
Step 2. After automatically jumping to the chrome web store, click Add to Chrome to download Chrome Remote Desktop.
Step 3. Click Add extension to confirm the installation.
Step 4. Click on Accept & Install to install it.
Step 5. Enter a name for your computer and then click Next.
Step 6. Choose a PIN with at least 6 numbers, and then enter it twice to start the program. (If you forgot Chrome Remote Desktop PIN, you can also get it back)
Step 7. On the client computer, open the Chrome browser and navigate here. Then log in to the same Google account. Once logged in, you can see the available computers.
Step 8. Click on the computer set up previously, and enter its PIN. Then you could start your remote control.
Step 9. After successfully connecting, click the arrow icon on the right side to expand the sidebar. In the File Transfer column, you can find the options of Upload file and Download file.
1. To upload from local to remote:
Click Upload file to send a file from your local (host) computer to your remote computer. On your local computer, it will launch an Open File file manager window. Click Open after selecting a file. You'll get the following notification when it’s finished.
2. To download from remote to local:
Click Download file to download a file to your local computer (host) from the remote machine. On the remote computer, a Download File file manager window will appear. Click Open after selecting a file. On your local (host) computer, a GUI file manager Save File window will appear after the file has been transferred. Choose a location and save the file.
Google Remote Desktop file transfer alternative: AnyViewer
AnyViewer is the free remote desktop software with a file transfer feature for Windows. It is the best Chrome Remote Desktop for the following reasons:
- Multi-session. AnyViewer supports 2 concurrent remote desktop sessions, while Chrome Remote Desktop only allows 1 remote connection at a time.
- Built-in chat. AnyViewer supports built-in text chat, while this key feature of a great remote desktop application is absent in Chrome Remote Desktop.
- Ability to reconnect after reboot. AnyViewer allows you to reconnect to the remote machine after reboot if you have enabled AnyViewer to start with the computer, while Chrome Remote Desktop doesn’t allow you to reconnect to the remote computer after reboot.
Step 1. Download, install, and launch AnyViewer 3.0 on both Windows computers. If your version is lower, please upgrade first.
Step 2. On the Controller computer, go to Log in, and then click Sign up. (If you already have signed up on its official website, you can log in directly.)
Step 3. Fill in the signup information.
Step 4. Then you can see you successfully logged in to AnyViewer. Your device will automatically be assigned to the account you’ve logged in to.
Step 5. Choose your target computer, and then click File Transfer.
Step 6. Then a File Transfer dialog box will appear. The path of the Controller computer is shown on the left of the box, and the path of the Recipient computer is shown on the right. You’re able to transfer files between devices freely by clicking the arrows after choosing the target files.
Step 7. You can see the transfer status at the bottom of the File Transfer dialog box. Right-click to pause or remove the transfer task. The dialog can be closed when the transfer is complete.
- It is highly recommended to upgrade your account to a professional or enterprise plan. Here are what a professional or enterprise plan can bring to you:
- Faster file transfer speed. Transfer speed for a free account is 500 KB/s, and for a paid account is up to 10 MB/s.
- Larger size of a single file that can be transferred. The maximum size of a single file that can be transferred for the free account is 100 MB.
- More devices can be assigned to the same account for unattended remote access.
- More Currently connected devices are displayed for management.
- Connect in privacy mode to protect privacy.
Can Google Remote Desktop drag and drop files? Technically, the answer is no. But you can achieve file transfer with Chrome Remote Desktop by uploading and downloading files. Besides, you can also use the best Chrome Remote Desktop file transfer alternative AnyViewer, which provides you with an easier way to achieve file transfer.