Who can tell me how to use keyboard in Chrome Remote Desktop?
I like to use Chrome Remote Desktop mobile app to remotely control the computer. Everything is running normally. Recently, I replaced a Samsung mobile phone. When I use it to remotely control my computer, I found the Chrome Remote Desktop didn’t show up. For this reason, I have to ask for your help: how to use the keyboard on Chrome Remote Desktop, and do I need any special gesture to make it display?”
- Question from Reddit
Chrome Remote Desktop: how to use the keyboard on different devices
Chrome Remote Desktop is suitable for a variety of operating systems. On different devices, the installation and usage methods of Chrome Remote Desktop are different. Therefore, the ways to use the keyboard are also different. Next, we will introduce Chrome Remote Desktop how to use the keyboard on mobiles and PCs.
Part 1. How to use Chrome Remote Desktop keyboard on mobile devices
To use Chrome Remote Desktop on your mobile phone, you can follow the steps below.
Step 1. You need to set a PIN code on the remote computer in advance.
Step 2. Download the Chrome Remote Desktop mobile app on your iPhone, and log in to your Google account.
Step 3. You can see all the remote computers in the list, and click on the one you want to connect to. Enter the PIN code and click CONNECT to realize the remote connection. Then you tap the screen with four fingers to display the menu, and then tap the keyboard icon in the upper right corner to bring up the keyboard for text entry.
Step 4. It is the same on iPad.
Note: On Androids, you only need to swipe down with three fingers to bring up the keyboard.
Part 2. How to use Chrome Remote Desktop keyboard on PCs
After using Chrome Remote Desktop to remotely control another computer, you can use the keyboard normally as if you were controlling the computer in front of you. If you want to use more Chrome Remote Desktop function keys, just click the little arrow on the right side of the screen to display more options. Here we take Windows as an example.
Step 1. Before starting, you need to achieve remote control via Chrome Remote Desktop with an access code (automatically generated by Chrome Remote Desktop) or PIN code (set by the recipient in advance). Then, click the small arrow to display more functions.
Step 2. In the Session options section, check the Full-screen option and check the Send system keys sub-option to send system-wide keyboard shortcuts to the remote computer in full-screen mode. For example, if you use Chrome Remote Desktop on a Windows Desktop to access an Apple iMac, when you press the Windows key, the remote computer will invoke the Command key.
Step 3. In addition, more keyboard options are provided in the Input controls section. For example, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del, Press PrtScr, Configure key mappings, and Configure keyboard shortcuts functions. You can also check the Press and hold left shift to access options to use the keyboard to access the application options.
For example, when you click the Configure key mappings option, a new window will pop up, from which you can make your own mapping. For example, from the list of code values for functional keys, the code for the (left) Ctrl key is “ControlLeft”, while the code for the Command key is “MetaLeft”, the configuration should now look like in the image below.
You should now be able to use Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, and other similar commands on your local PC to activate the corresponding Cmd-C, Cmd-V, and other similar actions on the remote Mac.
Step 4. You can also enable Configure keyboard shortcuts function. This allows you to set a key as the modifier key for shortcuts, which makes it more convenient for you to use Chrome Remote Desktop shortcut keys.
Chrome Remote Desktop keyboard issues and corresponding solutions
It is not complicated to use Chrome Remote Desktop keyboard shortcuts, but some users may encounter various problems when using it. Here we summarize 3 common problems and corresponding solutions to help you use Chrome Remote Desktop keyboard shortcuts normally.
Q1. Why it is unable to switch from the numeric keyboard to the letter keyboard? [Solved]
This problem occurs in Chrome Remote Desktop mobile devices, and it is most likely caused by the keyboard that comes with the phone. If you encounter this problem, unfortunately, you can try the following three methods to fix it:
- ✌Disable the phone’s vertical screen lock, and restore the Chrome Remote Desktop keyboard by repeatedly rotating the screen horizontally and vertically.
- ✌Open the phone settings and change the default keyboard to the Gboard (Google Keyboard).
- ✌Enter text in another application, then enter the keyboard settings, and reset the keyboard settings.
Q2. Why does Chrome Remote Desktop keyboard suddenly disappear? [Solved]
This problem also occurs in Chrome Remote Desktop mobile devices. If you encounter this problem, you can try the following two methods to repair it:
- ✌If the gesture of sliding down three fingers is invalid, you can first see if your mobile phone has a similar gesture. If so, please disable it and try this gesture again to call out the keyboard.
- ✌Disable the vertical screen locking of the mobile phone, and rotate your mobile phone laterally. The menu will be automatically displayed for a period of time in the horizontal screen state so that you can have the opportunity to call up the keyboard with the gesture of sliding one finger downward.
Q3. Why does Chrome Remote Desktop no longer accept remote keyboard input?[Solved]
This problem commonly occurs when you use Chrome Remote Desktop on your desktop. If you, unfortunately, encounter this problem, you can try the following method to repair it:
Step 1. Open Chrome Remote Desktop and click the trash can icon on the right side of the remote device to delete the device from the list.
Step 2. In the set up remote access section, click the blue turn-on button in the lower right corner. Then set up Chrome Remote Desktop again as you usually do.
Best Chrome Remote Desktop alternative: AnyViewer
We would like to recommend another remote desktop software AnyViewer to you. AnyViewer has been regarded as the best Chrome Remote Desktop alternative. Let’s take a look at the advantages of AnyViewer over Chrome Remote Desktop:
- Multi-session. AnyViewer supports 2 concurrent remote desktop sessions, while Chrome Remote Desktop only allows 1 remote connection at a time.
- Built-in chat. AnyViewer supports built-in text chat, while this key feature of a great remote desktop application is absent in Chrome Remote Desktop.
- Ability to reconnect after reboot. AnyViewer allows you to reconnect to the remote machine after reboot if you have enabled AnyViewer to start with the computer, while Chrome Remote Desktop doesn’t allow you to reconnect to the remote computer after reboot.
Step 1. Download, install, and launch AnyViewer on all computers. Go to Log in, and then click Sign up. (If you already have signed up on its official website, you can log in directly.)
Step 2. Fill in the signup information.
Step 3. Then you can see you successfully logged in to AnyViewer. Your device will automatically be assigned to the account you’ve logged in to.
Step 4. Access the same AnyViewer account on multiple devices. You will then see a list of all the devices that have been logged into the same account. By selecting One-click control, any two of the three devices can start a remote connection to a third device at the same time.
- You can upgrade your account to an Enterprise plan to initiate 10 concurrent connections. Aside from this, you can enjoy more rights:
- Faster file transfer speed. Transfer speed for a free account is 500 KB/s, and for a paid account is up to 10 MB/s.
- Increasing number of files transferred in a single time.
- Larger size of a single file that can be transferred.
- More devices can be assigned to the same account for unattended remote access.
- More Currently connected devices are displayed for management.
- Connect in privacy mode to protect privacy.
Tips: If you remotely control another computer from your iPhone, AnyViewer provides you with a gesture guide to help you quickly get started.
Chrome Remote Desktop how to use keyboard? This tutorial provides you with ways to use the keyboard on both PCs and mobile devices and summarizes three common problems and corresponding solutions to ensure that you can use the Chrome Remote Desktop keyboard normally.