Any Recommendation on the Best App for Remote Control PC?
I plan to remotely control my laptop with my Android phone in the next week. Is there any recommended Android app that I can use to control my PC for running certain programs like 3D simulation from my Android phone? "
What is the Best PC Remote Control App?
The best remote PC control application refers to a tool that enables you to remotely control a PC from an Android device, iPhone, iPad, or another PC. A good PC remote app should meet the criteria listed below:
✔ Security: The security of a control tool is the most important. A good remote control PC app should be secure enough to prevent data leakage.
✔ Ease of use: For a newbie, it will be frustrating if the PC remote controller is difficult to understand and use.
✔ Fluency: In the process of controlling the remote computer, the response speed should be fast, and you can take operations to the PC smoothly.
✔ Compatibility: A popular free remote control app for PCs should be compatible with both the latest and the old OS.
✔ Price: Using free apps to control PCs are popular. If users have to spend money, they expect a better experience within their budgets.
Top 3 PC Remote Control Apps [Features and Pricing]
Taking the 5 criteria above into consideration, we pick up the 3 best apps to remote control PC.
1. Microsoft Remote Desktop [Pre-installed Solution]
The firstly introduced PC control app is Microsoft Remote Desktop. As its name suggests, it was developed by Microsoft. It is pre-installed with Windows computers (only Windows Pro and Enterprise). It allows a PC to be controlled with RD client apps, like Remote Desktop Connection over WIFI, LAN, or the internet.
◆ Key features:
- Unattended access: Users can control an unattended computer with an IP address, user name, and password.
- Copy and paste: In Windows-to-Windows connections, users are allowed to copy and paste files between connected devices.
- Remote print: Users can access and print files on remote computers.
- Remote audio: The audio can be transmitted through RDP sound prediction in Windows-to-Windows access.
- Completely free: It is a built-in Windows service. Thus you don't spend money to buy it or time on downloading it.
- Cross-platform: Apart from controlling Windows from Windows, users can download the corresponding RD client app to control a Windows computer from Mac, Android, iOS, or Linux.
- Complicated setup process from a different network: Users need to configure the network and router when accessing from an outside network.
- Only included in Pro and advanced versions of Windows: Users can't access Windows Home versions with RD client apps.
- Remote screen is locked: Once the remote computer is controlled, it will be locked automatically. Thus, users can't demonstrate a certain process to the remote user.
- Ctrl+Alt+End is unavailable: You can't send Ctrl+Alt+End during RDP sessions.
It is free with Windows Pro or an advanced version. Home users need to upgrade to Pro for PC remote control. Currently, the price of upgrading Home to Pro is $99.
2. Chrome Remote Desktop [Browser Extension]
Chrome Remote Desktop can exist as an independent application or an extension of Chrome browser for remote access and support. That is to say, as long as users can use Chrome browser on the platform, they can use Chrome Remote Desktop.
◆ Key features:
- Permanent access via PIN: Set up Chrome Remote Desktop with PIN on the to-be-accessed computer; users can permanently access it via PIN.
- Temporary access via code: It's also available to generate code for one-time access.
- Transfer files supported: Users can transfer files via uploading and downloading files between two computers.
- Remote audio: Chrome Remote Desktop can stream audio when controlling a remote PC from a local device.
- Functional options: Users can send Ctrl+Alt+Del, PrintScreen, and F11 to the remote computer by clicking the options.
- Widely compatible: Users can use it to set up Windows, Linux, or Mac computers running the Chrome browser to be a host computer and can control the PC from any device.
- Supports resolution adjustment: In the CRD session, users can update the remote resolution to match the window.
- Supports access over the internet: Users can connect to a computer with CRD from a different network without configuring a router or network.
- Remote print is unavailable: Users are unable to print remote files to a local printer.
- No chat function: users can't chat with the one on the remote computer.
- Unstable connection: It's not rare to encounter issues like Chrome Remote Desktop freezing or stuck on loading.
Chrome Remote Desktop extension is free.
3. AnyViewer [One-click Control Available]
AnyViewer is a secure and stable app to control PCs running Windows from Windows, iOS, or Android devices with end-to-end encryption.
◆ Key features:
- One-click control: It can assign devices to an account, and then users can get one-click control.
- Unattended remote access with security code: Set up a security code for the to-be-accused computer and users can access it with the code.
- Send remote control request: It allows users to send a remote control request for one-time access to the PC.
- File transfer: Users can use it to transfer files quickly and easily between remote computers.
- Multi-monitor switch: When connecting to a computer with multiple screens, it allows users to show one or all screens
- Text chat: Uses can chat with the one sitting in front of the remote PC for convenient communication.
- Shortcuts of vital operations: Users can send the Ctrl+Alt+End command &open Task Manager, CMD, etc by clicking the option.
- Remote power management: Users can reboot and shut off the remote PC with AnyViewer.
- Access in privacy mode ( only in Pro& Enterprise versions): Users can control the remote PC by blacking its screen and disabling its physical keyboard &mouse to prevent others from peeking.
- The free version is available: AnyViewer offers a Free plan that can satisfy all demands for common remote access.
- PC remote control over the Internet is easy: AnyViewer allows users to control a PC remotely from a different network without setting up VNP or port forwarding.
- Supports all editions of Windows: Users can access Windows Home or Standard computer with AnyViewer.
- Resolution adjustment in session is available: You can change resolution in a remote session.
- Control Android Devices perfectly: AnyViewer allows users to remotely control from and to Android devices seamlessly.
- Remote print is unavailable: It's not allowed to print remote files to a local printer.
- Mac and Linux computers aren't supported: AnyViewer doesn't access Linux or Mac computers remotely.
|Free Version||AnyViewer Professional||AnyViewer Enterprise||Availability|
|Differences||2 devices can start sessions simultaneously||2 devices can start sessions simultaneously||10 devices can start sessions simultaneously|
|One computer can control 2 computers at the same time||One computer can control 5 computers at the same time||One computer can control 10 computers at the same time|
|Assign 3 devices for one-click control||Assign 10 devices for one-click control||Assign 100 devices for one-click control|
|Business Hour Support||24/7/365 Support||24/7/365 Priority Support|
It doesn't support privacy mode access
|Supports privacy mode access||
Supports privacy mode access
You can choose a computer remote control software you like according to the features and pricing.
How to Use PC Remote Control Apps: 3 Simple Ways
Here are the detailed instructions on how to use the above 3 apps to successfully control your computer remotely.
How to Control Windows PC Remotely with Microsoft Remote Desktop
Step 1. Users should enable Remote Desktop on the Windows computer to allow remote access via the Remote Desktop client app to this computer.
In the search box, type in "remote desktop settings", search for it, and open it. Drag the toggle to the "On" position to enable Remote Desktop. Then, confirm the operation.
Step 2. Then, users can control the PC remotely from their local devices.
▪ From another PC
Press "Windows" + "R", input "mstsc" and hit Enter to open Remote Desktop Connection on Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7. In the window, type in the IP address of the PC that you want to control and click "Connect". Then, do as the Windows login prompts to complete PC remote control.
▪ From Mac
Download and install Microsoft Remote Desktop from the Mac App Store on your Mac. Click the "New“ button and fill in the necessary information, including PC name (IP address of the Windows PC), username, password, etc. Then, close this window.
▪ From Linux
Use Xterm to open the Command shell. In the window, type "desktop" to check whether the desktop is installed. If not, install the desktop package. If so, type "desktop" followed by the IP address, and hit Enter.
▪ From Android
Download the Remote Desktop app from Google Play on an Android phone or tablet, and install and fire up it. Tap the “+” icon and choose "Add PC". Input the IP address of the PC that you want to control and type in the username and password. Then, click “Save” to continue.
▪ From iPhone/iPad
Download the RD client from the App Store on your iPhone or iPad, install it, and launch it. Click the "+" icon, select "Add PC", click "PC Name", input the IP address of the Windows PC, and then enter the user name and password of the account that is used to connect to the remote PC. Then, click "Continue" to take control of one PC from an iPhone or iPad.
How to Use Chrome Remote Desktop for PC Remote Control
Step 1. Users need to add the Chrome Remote Desktop extension to the to-be-controlled PC and set it up.
On Linux, Windows, or Mac computers, open the Chrome browser and access Chrome Remote Desktop from the Chrome Web Store. Click the "download" icon and click the "Add to Chrome" and follow the prompts to download the remote control extension. After downloading, click on "Accept & Install" to install Chrome Remote Desktop. Then, set up the compute name and PIN manually.
Step 2. Now, users can control PCs remotely from their local devices.
▪ From computer
Open Chrome on your computer, log into the same Google account go to the Remote Access interface, and click the to-be-controlled computer. Type in the PIN that you have set for the remote computer and then you can control the PC from your local computer successfully.
▪ From Android
Download the Chrome Remote Desktop app from Google Play. Install and open it. Tap the computer you need to access and type in the PIN.
▪ From iPhone or iPad
Download the Chrome Remote Desktop app from the App Store. Install and open it. Tap the computer you need to access and type in the PIN.
- It's available to control the PC in two methods from mobile devices: virtual mouse and touch mode.
How to Use AnyViewer for PC Remote Control
Step 1. Click the following button to free download the PC remote control software on the computer and set it up.
Step 2. Install and run AnyViewer on your PC. Create an AnyViewer account and log in to it.
- Once logged in, the computer will be assigned to the account, and you can achieve one-click remote access between assigned computers.
Step 3. Now, users can control their PCs from their local devices.
▪ From Windows PC:
Install and fire up AnyViewer, and log in to the same AnyViewer account. Click "Device" and locate the computer that you need to control. Click it and choose "One-click Control". Then, you can take full control of the remote PC from your local PC.
▪ From iPhone/iPad or Android
Go to the App Store to download the iPhone app of AnyViewer or go to Google Play to download the AnyViewer Android app. Install and run it. Log into the same AnyViewer account, and you can see the computers that have been assigned to the account. Click the computer that you want to control and click "One-click control".
Any Other PC Remote Control Apps?
All the above computer remote control apps are easy to download, install, and use, and are free or offer a free version for all users. For users who focus on gaming when they control a PC with an Android or iOS phone, other apps like Monect PC Remote and Remote Unified are also good choices.
FAQs about Remote Control Apps for Computer
What can I do with a PC remote control software?
PC remote control apps provide a range of functionalities, including controlling the mouse and keyboard, launching applications, managing files, and even accessing the desktop. Some apps also offer features like remote shutdown, screen sharing, and media control.
Is it safe to use apps for remote control?
Generally, PC remote control apps are safe to use, especially if you choose reputable and secure applications such as AnyViewer. AnyViewer supports two-step verification for your desktop and mobile logins. Additionally, use strong passwords and keep the remote control app updated to the latest version to ensure security.
Do I need to install any software on my PC to use a remote control app?
Yes, most PC remote control apps require you to install a corresponding application or software on your computer. This software facilitates the connection between the controlling device and the PC. Make sure to follow the installation instructions provided by the remote control app.