How can I share files from one computer to another using LAN cable?
I bought a new laptop recently, so I wanna transfer the files from the old laptop to the new one. But I don’t know how to do that. I found LAN cable in my room, maybe it can help me. How can I share files from one computer to another using LAN cable?”
- Question from Reddit
Stepwise tutorial on how to share files between two computers via LAN cable
Transferring files from PC to PC quickly, safely, and efficiently represents the use of a LAN cable. In this post, we'll show you how to finish this work.
Part 1. Connect both PCs via a LAN cable
Connect your computers to a LAN cable.
Part 2. Enable network sharing on both computers
Step 1. Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center, and then click Change advanced sharing settings on the left pane.
Step 2. Click on the drop-down-icon next to All Networks.
Step 3. Check the following settings and then click Save changes.
- Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders
- Use 128-bit encryption to help protect file sharing connections (recommended)
- Turn off password protected sharing
Part 3. Set static IP
How to connect two computers using LAN cable for file sharing? When you have enabled network sharing on both computers, follow the next steps to setup static IP on both computers to connect them to the same network preparing for the file transfer.
Step 1. Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet, and then click Change adapter settings on the left pane.
Step 2. You can see a list of Network connections, right-click on the Ethernet network, and select Properties in the context menu.
Step 3. In the pop-up window, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties at the bottom.
Step 4. On the first computer, check Use the following IP address and type in the following IP address.
IP address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask: 188.8.131.52
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.2
Step 5. Do the similar steps above on the second computer and type in the following IP address.
IP address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 184.108.40.206
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Step 6. If everything is configured correctly, you can see two computer names under the Network menu on your computer.
Part 4. Transfer files between two PCs via LAN
How to share files between two computers with LAN cable? After you have connected the cable properly, enabled the Network sharing settings, and set up the IP addresses successfully. Now, it is time to transfer files from one computer to another.
Before operations, you are suggested to create a new folder to store all the files you want to share, which is an efficient way to transfer the files at once.
Step1. Right-click on the folder you want to transfer, hover on Give access to and then select Specific people.
Step 2. In the sharing window, choose Everyone from the drop-down window and click Add button, and finally click Share.
Step 3. The next time you will be asked if you want to enable file sharing for public networks. Depending on your requirements, select No to transfer files for a private network or Yes to send files for all public networks.
Step 4. Once you shared the folder successfully, you can see its network location of it.
Step 5. Now go back to another computer where you want to access the file. Open the Network panel and double-click the computer name to check the target folder. Then you can transfer the files by simply copying and pasting.
AnyViewer: Easier way to transfer files between PCs wirelesssly
It is an excellent option to transfer large files using LAN cable. However, it still has a lot of drawbacks.
- This method only works between Windows PC.
- Both computers have to be presented in the same place.
- Its complicated setting process requires a certain network knowledge.
Due to these limitations, we recommend you to use third-party software AnyViewer to transfer files wirelessly without limitations for the following benefits.
- Easy-to-use. It has easy operations to transfer files without restrictions, you can transfer files from PC to PC directly if you’ve logged into the same account.
- Fast. It has a fast file transfer speed to improve your work efficiency and save time, it only costs about 20 seconds to transfer a 2 GB zip file.
- Compatible. It allows several Windows versions, including Windows OS and Windows Server OS.
- User-friendly. It offers a chat box for text communication and it won’t lock the host PC during connection.
- Multi-function. In addition to file transfer, you can also use AnyViewer to get unattended remote access to desktops, laptops, or servers without complicated settings, then you can share screen, or manage your computer remotely.
- Secure. It is secured by Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) encryption, preventing your data loss during the whole remote session.
After downloading and installation, follow the next steps to transfer files wirelessly via AnyViewer.
Step 1. On the client computer, go to Log in on the left pane and then click Sign up (log in directly if you have already signed up).
Step 2. Fill in the sign up information.
Step 3. Log in to the same account on other devices. Then you can see the assigned devices.
Step 4. Go to the Device interface to select the target device you want to transfer files to, and then click File Transfer on the right pane.
Step 5. A File Transfer dialog box for transferring files between the PCs is now available. The right of the box presents the client PC, and the host PC is on the left. Select the files and click the right arrow to transfer them to the client PC. Select the files and then click the left arrow to transfer them to the host PC.
You can see the transfer status at the bottom of the box. Right-click to pause or remove the tasks.
- A single file smaller than 100 MB can be transferred using AnyViewer's free account, and you are only permitted to transfer up to 100 files at once. To transfer larger files, upgrade to a Professional or Enterprise plan. The following rights will thereafter be yours:
- Transfer multiple files all at once.
- Speedier file transfer. Transfer speed for a free account is 500 KB/s, but it can reach 10 MB/s for a paid account.
- Assign more devices to the same account to achieve direct file transfer.
- Connect to the host computer in privacy mode so that you can block the remote PC's keyboard and mouse and black its screen.
This post introduces how to share files between two computers using LAN cable, hope the steps will work out for you to do this job. In the process you may feel confused about the complicated settings, so we also recommend you another way to transfer files without technical knowledge. Therefore, if you are confused and worry about getting errors during the settings. Just try AnyViewer.