How do I restart Windows remotely?
Hello, guys! I need some help! I got 2 Widows PCs and I've placed them in separate rooms. It's a tedious job to move every day from one room to another to reboot my PC or perform other tasks. I need some suggestions of restart server remotely to make things convenient. Thanks in advance!”
- Question from Windows Forum
How to restart server remotely [2 cases]
Gone out and left computer running? You may encounter the same situation where you need to restart a remote computer however you are in different places. Here is how you can remotely restart a Windows computer. Let’s go on.
Case 1. Restart server using professional software [without IP address]
How to restart server remotely? The most simple and secure way is to use professional remote support software like AnyViewer. With it, you can restart your remote PC from anywhere with only one click.
- ★Highlights of AnyViewer:
- It is very simple for users to set up, and you don’t need to get the IP address or change the firewall settings.
- It is secure and stable.
- It supports over-Internet connections without performing extra network settings.
- It also allows you to get unattended remote access, transfer files, remotely lock/shutdown PC, etc.
- It is compatible with Windows, iOS, and Android devices, which means you can also restart/shutdown remote PC from Android or iOS devices.
Now let’s see how to reboot remote computer with AnyViewer.
Step 1. Download, install, and launch AnyViewer on both of your devices.
Step 2. On the host PC, go to Log in and then click Sign up.
Step 3. Fill in the information and click Sign up.
Step 4. Log in to the same account on the client PC, now you can see your assigned devices.
Step 5. Go to Device, and click the remote computer you want to restart. Click Reboot and then your remote device will be rebooted automatically.
⭐Tip: If you want to first manage your computer remotely and then reboot it, you can also achieve this in a remote session.
Step 1. Back to Device, click One-click control to establish a remote connection.
Step 2. Now you can see the remote computer and control it. When you want to restart the computer, click Operation from the upper toolbar > Restart.
You can also chat, transfer files, open Task Manager, etc. from the toolbar.
- Assign more devices to enjoy remote connections and multiple simultaneous sessions.
- Enjoy more concurrent connections.
- Establish remote connection in privacy mode to strongly protect data.
- Transfer unlimited files at once at a higher speed of up to 10 MB/s.
- You can learn more information from the website.
Case 2. Remotely restart a server by built-in tools [with IP address]
You can also directly restart remote server using Windows built-in tools: CMD or PowerShell.
1. Same local area network connections.
2. Have the administrative user rights of the remote computer.
3. Get the remote PC’s IP address or username.
Step 1. Get IP address:
On the host PC, open CMD and enter “ipconfig”, and note down the IPv4 address.
Step 2. Get username:
On the host PC, right-click This PC > Properties, then you can see the computer name.
4. Enable the Remote Registry function.
Step 1. Open Services and scroll down to click Remote Registry.
Step 2. From the Startup Type drop-down menu, select Automatic.
5. Open certain firewall ports
Open Control Panel and navigate to System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall > Allow apps, click Change settings, and tick Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI).
When you are well-prepared, follow the next steps to restart your computer.
Way 1. Restart server remotely using CMD
If you know the IP address of remote computer, here is how to remotely restart a computer with IP address using CMD.
Step 1. On your local PC, press Win + R, enter “cmd” and hit OK.
Step 2. Type the following command and hit Enter to restart the remote computer.
- shutdown -m \ [IP Address] -r -f
([IP Address] should be the IP of the computer you want to restart)
If you want to delay the restart, type the following command:
- shutdown -r -m \ [IP Address] -t [seconds]
For example, to restart the computer with IP “192.168.0.34” after 60 seconds, enter the command “shutdown -r -m \ 192.168.0.34-t 60”
Way 2. Restart server remotely with PowerShell
You can also reboot server remotely PowerShell, which allows you to restart computer immediately.
Step 1. Right-click on the Start menu and select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
Step 2. Enter the following command:
- Restart-Computer -ComputerName REMOTE_COMPUTER_NAME -Force
(Input the IP or username of the computer you want to restart to replace REMOTE_COMPUTER_NAME)
This post introduces how to restart server remotely in three feasible ways. You can use professional remote access software to reboot your remote devices with only one click. You can also use Windows built-in tools CMD or PowerShell with IP address or username, but both of them require complicated settings. Therefore, if you are looking for a secure and easier way, try AnyViewer.