How do I remotely restart a Windows 10 computer?
After 3 hours of my life gone forever, I am still unable to reboot a remote Windows 10 computer from a Windows 8.1 desktop. Any suggestion to remote reboot Windows 10? Thanks in advance.”
- Question from Windows Forum
How to remote reboot Windows 10/11 [2 cases]
Sometimes you may need to restart or shut down a Windows computer remotely in different conditions. Here in this part, we will show you how to remotely restart Windows 10.
Case 1. Remotely restart Windows PC over-Internet
To remotely reboot your Windows PC safely and easily, we recommend you use the professional remote desktop software AnyViewer to do this job.
- Benefits of AnyViewer:
- Easy-to-use. It supports several one-click operations, you can reboot/lock/shutdown your host device remotely with only one click.
- Safe. It is guaranteed by ECC encryption, protecting your data from leakage.
- Multi-function. It also allows unattended remote access, screen sharing, file transfer, etc.
- Auto-adapted. It is available in all network conditions and can adapt to different network environments automatically without VPN or port forwarding.
- Compatible. It is compatible with Windows, iOS, and Android. This means you can also remotely reboot/shutdown your computer from Android/iPhone.
Step 1. Open AnyViewer on the host device, go to Log in and then click Sign up.
Step 2. Fill in the information > click Sign up.
Step 3. On the client device, log in to the same account and then you can see the assigned devices.
Step 4. Go to Device, select the computer you want to restart and click Reboot.
Tip: You can also restart your device in a remote session if you want to first manage your computer remotely.
Step 1. Back to Device, select the computer, and click One-click control.
Step 2. Now you can see the host desktop and control it. When you want to restart the computer, click Operation from the upper toolbar > Restart.
You can also chat, transfer files, change the image quality, etc.
Case 2. Remote reboot Windows PC on same network [2 ways]
If you need to remote reboot Windows 10/11 on the same local area network, you can use PowerShell or CMD. Whatever tool you choose, make sure the following prerequisites are met:
1. Both devices are connected to the same local area network.
2. Have the administrative user rights of the remote computer you want to restart.
3. Get the remote PC’s IP address or username.
Step 1. Get IP address:
On the host device, open CMD and enter “ipconfig”, what you need is the IPv4 address.
Step 2. Get username:
On the host PC, right-click This PC > Properties, then note downthe computer name.
4. Confirm Remote Registry.
Step 1. Open Services, scroll down, and click Remote Registry.
Step 2. Select Automatic from the Startup Type drop-down menu, .
5. Set certain Firewall ports
Open Control Panel and navigate to System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall > Allow apps, click Change settings, and tick Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI).
►Way 1. Use PowerShell restart command
Step 1. Right-click the Start menu, and click Windows PowerShell (Admin).
Step 2. Type in the following remote reboot Windows 10/11 PowerShell command:
- Restart-Computer -ComputerName REMOTE_COMPUTER_NAME -Force
(Enter the IP or username of the computer you want to restart instead of REMOTE_COMPUTER_NAME)
Then your remote computer will restart automatically.
►Way 2. Use Remote Shutdown Dialog
Step 1. On the client device, press Win + R, enter “cmd” and hit OK.
Step 2. Type in the command “shutdown /i” and hit Enter to evoke the Remote Shutdown Dialog.
Step 3. Click Add and type in the computer name or IP address of the device you want to restart, then click OK.
Step 4. Select Restart under What do you want these computers to do, you can also perform the related settings. When all is done, click OK to restart the device.
Now you may grasp how to remote reboot Windows 10/11. We introduced 3 different ways to remotely restart your PC over the Internet and in the same network. To restart your computer easily and safely, AnyViewer could be the best choice for you.