iPad RDP client error code 0x104
“When I was trying to use RD Client on my iPad to remotely access my computer, I received the error code 0x104 notification. The specific error information is shown in the picture below. What causes this problem and how can I solve it?”
What causes iPad RDP client error code 0x104?
Sometimes, we may encounter RDP error code 0x104 on Mac or iOS devices when trying to remotely access Windows PCs. There are five common causes of iPad RDP client error code 0x104:
- ✍ Remote Desktop not enabled. Make sure that Remote Desktop is enabled on your computer. If not, you may not be able to establish a connection.
- ✍ Network Discovery has been turned off. If the network discovery option in your Sharing settings is disabled, this could be the cause of the error message appearing.
- ✍ Windows Firewall blocks 3389 port. For RDP connections, Remote Desktop uses the 3389 port by default. You will not be able to create a connection if Windows Firewall is blocking it.
- ✍ DNS Settings. If you are using any custom DNS servers, the issue might be rising because of that.
- ✍ RD Client error. The problem may also be on the iPad side, so what you need to do is to uninstall and reinstall RD Client.
How to fix iPad RDP client error code 0x104
Aiming at the causes of iPad RDP client error code 0x104 above, here we give their respective solutions.
Solution 1. Enable Remote Desktop
Step 1. Press Win + S, search for Remote desktop settings, and then open it.
Step 2. Toggle the button to the On position to enable Remote Desktop.
Solution 2. Turn on Network Discovery
Step 1. Navigate here: Start > Settings > Network & Internet. Scroll to Network and Sharing Center, then click it.
Step 2. Click the Change Advanced Sharing Settings.
Step 3. Select Turn on network discovery and save changes.
Solution 3. Allow Port 3389 Port through Firewall
Step 1. Press WIN + R, enter “control panel” and then click OK to open Control Panel.
Step 2. Navigate here: Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall.
Step 3. Click Advanced settings.
Step 4. Click Inbound Rules. Find Remote Desktop - User Mode (TCP-In and UDP-In). Make sure they are enabled and 3389 is the port.
Solution 4. Clear custom DNS servers
Step 1. Open Control Panel. Then navigate here: Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
Step 2. Click Change adapter settings.
Step 3. In the automatically pop-up Network Connections window, find your network. Usually, but not necessarily, the connection will be called Ethernet. Right-click it and then click Properties.
Step 4. Tick Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
Step 5. Make sure that the Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are selected.
Solution 5. Uninstall and reinstall RD Client
If you can’t make a connection to your computer from your iPad, there may be some problems with the RD Client on your iPad. So the final solution we give here is to uninstall and reinstall RD Client. This sometimes helps fix all kinds of problems.
Free & stable RD Client alternative: AnyViewer
If you're done with the annoying RD Client problems, you can use an RD Client alternative. One of the best RD Client alternatives is the free iOS remote access tool AnyViewer, which allows you to remotely access the computer from iPad/iPhone. Compared with Remote Desktop, it has the following three advantages:
- RD Client requires an IP address or computer name to achieve remote connection, while AnyViewer doesn’t.
- RD Client requires the two devices to be under the same network, while AnyViewer doesn’t.
- RD Client can’t be used to connect to Windows 10 Home edition, while AnyViewer supports any devices running iOS 10.0 or later and multiple Windowsversionson PCs.
Part 1. Enable remote access on Windows computer
Step 1. Download, install and launch AnyViewer on the Windows computer.
Step 2. Go to Log in, and then click Sign up. (If you already have signed up on its official website, you can log in directly.)
Step 3. Fill in the signup information.
Step 4. Then you can see you successfully logged in to AnyViewer. Your device will automatically be assigned to the account you've logged in to.
Part 2. Achieve unattended remote access on the iPad
Step 1. Download and install AnyViewer for iOS on your iPhone, then open it. Log in to the same account that you've logged into on your computer.
Step 2. Then all the devices that have been logged in to the same account will be displayed here. Choose the device that you want to control.
Step 3. Click One-click control to achieve unattended remote access to the specific computer.
Step 4. Then you'll be successfully connecting your iPad to a Windows computer. It supports both vertical and horizontal screens, you can switch freely.
Step 5. Click the menu icon, you can also see multiple shortcuts. You can do the adjustments here.
This post analyzes five possible causes of iPad RDP client error code 0x104 and offers their respective solutions. Besides, we also recommend a Remote Desktop alternative, AnyViewer, to you. If you’re looking for an easier way to remotely access computers from an iPad, you can give it a try.