What is SSH in Chrome Remote Desktop?
Hi everyone. I just have a thought. It is said that SSH can help users connect to a remote PC over a secure connection. I usually use Chrome Remote Desktop and I saw an option 'Set up via SSH'. I’m wondering whether the security of remote sessions will be enhanced if I use 'Set up via SSH' and how can I realize it. Thanks!”
Secure Shell connections, SSH for short, is a common secure protocol used for accessing devices over a network. If you have remote access to a computer via Secure Shell (SSH), you can use Chrome Remote Desktop's main page to set it up for graphical remote access.
Concrete steps for Chrome Remote Desktop setup via SSH
Enhancing security through Chrome Remote Desktop setup via SSH tunnel is a wise choice. Let's outline the steps for setting up Chrome Remote Desktop via SSH. Ensure both PCs are logged into the same Google account before starting.
Part 1. Set up Chrome Remote Desktop on both PC
Step 1. Search Chrome Remote Desktop in the Chrome browser. Click on “Remote Access” and then click the blue download button.
Step 2. After adding and installing, enter a name and then click on “Next”.
Step 2. Set a PIN code and then click on “Start”.
Part 2. Chrome Remote Desktop set up via SSH
Step 1. Locate the “Set up via SSH” tab and then hit the blue “Begin” button.
Step 2. Select the "Next" button.
Step 3. Click on the “Authorize” button to proceed.
Step 4. Copy the Windows (Powershell) command line with the token to your clipboard and then send the command line to the remote PC. (Here let’s take Powershell as an example.)
Step 5. On the remote desktop, Search "Powershell" in the search box and then copy & paste the command line. Press the “Enter” key and then enter the PIN code of the local PC. Finally, enter the PIN code again.
Step 6. Now locate “Remote Access” and click on the remote PC you want to connect to.
Step 7. Enter the PIN of the host computer, then click the blue arrow. Then you can start to control it through Chrome Remote Desktop SSH tunnel.
AnyViewer: Get remote access securely and easily
For a secure and user-friendly remote access solution, consider opting for a reliable alternative to Chrome Remote Desktop. We highly recommend AnyViewer, a free and secure remote desktop software compatible with Windows, iOS, and Android devices.
- Strong Encryption: AnyViewer uses a powerful 256-bit ECC encryption for secure connections.
- Two-Factor Security: AnyViewer requires two-factor authentication, ensuring only authorized users can access your remote desktop.
- Device Lock: You can lock AnyViewer to prevent changes when sharing your computer or stepping away.
- Privacy Mode: AnyViewer offers privacy by dimming the remote screen and disabling the keyboard, keeping your activities secure during remote sessions.
Besides, AnyViewer also has many advantages over Chrome Remote Desktop:
- In-session text chat: During remote sessions, AnyViewer enhances text chat, distinguishing itself from Chrome Remote Desktop.
- User-friendly file transfer: AnyViewer offers a user-friendly file transfer system, addressing Chrome Remote Desktop's limitations.
- Simple setup: AnyViewer stands out with its simple setup, featuring an intuitive interface and an easy configuration process.
Step 1. Download, install, and launch AnyViewer on both computers. Go to Log in, and then click Sign up.
Step 2. Fill in the signup information.
Step 3. Then you can see you successfully logged in to AnyViewer. Your device will automatically be assigned to the account you've logged in to.
Step 4. Log in to the same AnyViewer account on the two devices, then you can achieve a direct connection by clicking "One-click control".
Immediately, you can see the remote desktop of the remote computer.
The concrete steps for Chrome Remote Desktop setup via SSH on Windows are shown above. Hope the steps can help you get the remote session securely. But if the session fails or the whole process is a little bit complex for you, a professional remote access software - AnyViewer can be a nice shot for you.